Chipotle corn chowder with crispy potato ‘bacon’
We hate waste – so why throw out your potato peelings when you can turn them into crispy deliciousness for topping this Wundaful soup?! Sounds mad? Probably is… but trust us it’s so tasty!
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tbsp light soy sauce
- 1tsp maple syrup or honey
- Pinch smoked paprika
- 1 large potato, scrubbed, peeled (keep the peelings!) and diced
- 1 stick of celery, sliced to ½cm chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 level tsp chipotle chilli paste
- 900ml Wunda Original
- ½ red pepper, finely diced
- 200g frozen or drained tinned sweetcorn
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- Heat oven to 200˚C, (180˚C for a fan oven), gas mark 5.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1tbsp of the oil with the Worcestershire sauce, light soy sauce, maple syrup and smoked paprika. Add the potato peelings and toss them in the mixture. Set aside for the flavours to infuse.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the celery and onion until soft. Add the chipotle paste, stirring to make sure everything is coated. Add the diced potato, half the sweetcorn and the Wunda and let simmer over a medium-low temperature for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Whilst the soup if cooking, put the marinated potato peel flat on a baking tray and place into the oven for 7 minutes until turning crispy at the edges.
- When the veg in the soup is tender, blend using a stick blender or whizz until smooth in a food processor. Finally add the diced pepper and remaining sweetcorn. Bring the soup up to a boil. Serve the soup in bowls, topped with the chopped coriander, sliced spring onions and the crispy potato ‘bacon’.