Creamy Spinach Lasagne
Try our twist on an old favourite. Its easier than you think and will get you loads of brownie points with your meat free mates! You can swap the mushrooms for aubergines or any other veg you like – peppers or courgettes also work great.
For the cheese sauce:
- 50g vegan butter alternative
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml Wunda Unsweetened
- 3tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2tsp white miso
- 2tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 fresh bay leaf
For the spinach:
- 200g mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated, crushed or finely chopped
- 600g spinach, washed and shredded
- 200g vegan cream cheese
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
To assemble to lasagne:
- 500g jar fresh tomato pasta sauce
- 300g dried lasagne sheets
- Handful of basil leaves, torn
- Heat oven to 200˚C, (180˚C for a fan oven), gas mark 5.
- Melt the vegan butter in a saucepan on the hob over a medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine. Let the mix cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture starts to look a little thicker.
- Add about 50ml of the Wunda to the saucepan and stir in until completely combined. Continue to add the Wunda a bit at a time, mixing in completely before adding the next bit.
- Once all the Wunda is mixed in, stir in the nutritional yeast, white miso, apple cider vinegar and fresh bay leaf. Cook the sauce for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to stop it catching. Set aside until it’s time to assemble the lasagne.
- In a large pan add half the oil and all the mushrooms and fry over a medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the mushrooms’ moisture has evaporated, transfer to a plate. Add the remaining oil, onion and garlic and cook until the onion has softened. Add the spinach, vegan cream cheese, pine nuts and nutmeg and season to taste. Cook until the spinach has softened down – this takes about 3 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf from the white sauce.
- In a large wide dish, layer the lasagne sheets with the tomato sauce, spinach mix and two-thirds of the white sauce, finishing with a layer of lasagne sheets. Pour the remaining third of white over the top of the final pasta layer. Cover the dish with tin foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes, remove the tin foil and bake for a final 5 minutes.
- Leave the lasagne to sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve scattered with the basil leaves.