Vegan Banana Bread
Got unloved bananas in the fruit bowl getting riper every day? Transform them into this sweet and scrumptious banana bread recipe, topped with a streusel for added texture!
For the loaf:
- 4tbsp Wunda Original
- 1tsp apple cider vinegar
- 100g vegan butter alternative
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 230g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½tsp freshly grated nutmeg
For the streusel top:
- 30g caster sugar
- 90g plain flour
- 60g vegan butter alternative, melted
- 50g chopped walnuts, optional
You will also need: Lined 450g loaf tin
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C degrees, (170˚C degrees for fan ovens), gas mark 5.
- Mix together Wunda Original and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and leave to sit for 15 minutes.
- For the streusel, mix the flour and sugar together in a bowl, then pour over the melted vegan butter, and stir with a fork until the mix forms big clumps. Add the chopped walnuts, if using.
- For the cake, cream together the vegan butter alternative and soft brown sugar, then mix in the Wunda/cider vinegar mixture and mashed bananas. At this point it might look split, but fear not – all it needs now is the flour to bring it back together.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and fold through. Pour the batter into the prepared tin, crumble the streusel over the top, and place into the oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Leave the loaf in the tin to cool for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before cutting. The loaf will keep for up to two days in an airtight container.