Vegan Quesadillas with Salsa Fresca
These little tortilla pockets really pack a punch with smoky chipotle beans, our ultimate stringy cheese sauce and topped with a fresh and zingy salsa. This makes a great weekend lunch or snack to share with friends in the garden!
For the quesadillas:
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1tsp chipotle paste
- 1x 400g can of mixed beans, drained
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 flour tortillas
- Pickled jalapeños, to taste
For the cheese filling:
- 30g vegan spread or coconut oil
- 30g tapioca starch
- 300ml Wunda Original
- 3tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2tsp white miso
- 2tsp apple cider vinegar
For the salsa:
- 3 ripe salad tomatoes, diced
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped (deseeded if preferred)
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 200˚C, (180˚C for a fan oven), gas mark 5.
- Sweat half of the onion in a frying pan with the oil, then add the garlic and cook over a moderate heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir-in the chipotle paste, then and add the beans and 250ml water. Lower the temperature of the hob to a medium-low and cook for 10-15 minutes until the water has absorbed and evaporated.
- While the beans are cooking, melt the vegan butter alternative in a saucepan on the hob over a medium heat. Add the tapioca starch and stir to combine. Let the mix cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture starts to look a little thicker.
- Add about 50ml of the Wunda to the saucepan and stir in until completely combined. Continue to add the Wunda a bit at a time, mixing in completely before adding the next bit.
- Once all the Wunda is mixed in, stir through the remaining ingredients. Cook the sauce for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to stop it catching. Set the sauce aside to cool slightly. Put a few tablespoons of the sauce separate in a bowl.
- When the water in the beans has evaporated, stir in half of the lime juice. Remove from the heat.
- Brush each of the tortillas with the oil and flip over. Top each tortilla with the bean mix, followed by the cheese sauce and add in pickled jalapeños to taste. Fold the tortillas in half to form half-moon quesadillas. Put the quesadillas onto a baking tray and top each with the extra bit of sauce. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the quesadillas are baking, assemble the salsa in a bowl by mixing the tomatoes, green chilli and coriander with the remaining half of diced onion and remaining lime juice, season with salt and pepper, and stir together to combine.
- Remove the quesadillas from the oven and plate-up with the salsa.